Here to share a piece that I must have started in June? Not sure. I spent a couple weeks prepping this HUGE piece of furniture before painting. It is honestly one of the biggest jobs I have done, to date.
I found this piece at Salvation Army – and I bought it because one of my clients who is an interior designer was on the hunt for the perfect sideboard for her client – and I thought this might fit the bill. When I sent it to her, she wasn’t crazy about the curved area on the cabinet doors and top drawers – so we decided to keep looking, but either way, it was a great find!
Here’s a before/after side-by-side. I shared this on IG when I thought I was getting ready to photograph this several weeks ago. I had it all set up – then I went to hang the doors and I couldn’t get them to close. I mean, they were WAY off. I tinkered for hours thinking it might just be the screw placement. I moved it to different areas of the room in case the floors were not level. Finally I gave up and called my carpenter-friend. It took a couple of weeks to set something up, but we took them to him to plane down and then picked up a few days later. I rehung them and they still were not right. I was on the verge of tears and seriously contemplated folding my business altogether. When operating cash is about $500 at any given time, refunding a deposit on a large project hurts – hurts bad! And it’s really stressful to have someone else’s money tied up in a project and not be able to deliver on time or as expected (another reason I have avoided custom work). My sweet customers had been waiting on this piece for about 6 weeks, but I emailed that night to let them know that my carpenter’s work didn’t fix the problem and I might need to refund their money.
The next day, I had an idea. I knew from testing that the doors could fit into the space if the hinges were not mounted to the frame, so I started to suspect that way the doors fit together was a problem. I removed the door on the right and I started sanding back the ledge that met with the ledge of the other door. The two doors each had an “L” shaped ledge where they locked together when closed. I sanded the ledge to the point where it was almost flush with the other part of the L . I sanded at an angle so it wouldn’t look weird from the front – meaning, the front edge wasn’t really sanded at all, but the back is about 1/8″ shorter than the front, if that makes sense?
After a few tries, IT WORKED. I honestly could not believe it. I thought for sure this piece would be someone’s greatest CL freebie find of all time. As soon as they were on, I didn’t mess with the screws. I left the doors up and painted a thin coat along the sanded area and called it good!
The color is much truer in these photos than the one above. It’s blue with a teal hue.
The satin sheen is very pretty. In my opinion, it was not any easier than high gloss FPOE. In general, however, I do find that satin finishes across most products, are easier than gloss. I did not rub out this surface, but I did sand with 600 grit before laying the final (3rd coat) on the top.
Fun paper-lined cabinet door interiors.
Thanks so much for stopping by!